The back of this Palace is Ridiculous!

The back of this Palace is Ridiculous!

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Friends, family, fun, and London Living!


Greetings!

I haven't written in a few days because I have been busy moving from my temporary home at the Hilton and into my place at Nido King's Cross. My parents came into town the day I was moving into my apartment and I am very thankful they did because I was an emotional homesick mess that day. I have made great stride in that department because I made a friend that night and now I do not feel so alone in a city where I now know only 1 person. After having the culture shock and the homesickness that follows, I realized that it takes a great amount of energy to be adventurous. Adventure is not something easy, it may be thrilling at times, full of promise, and will be worth it in the end, but it takes a great amount of work to get to that point.

On a lighter note I spent all day yesterday sightseeing with my parents. We went to Abbey Road and attempted to recreate the famous Beatles' album cover, but instead got quite a few pictures of each of us running wilding across that oh so famous pedestrian crossing due to the large amount of traffic. We also went to visit my college, Regent's College which is in Regent's Park. The park is absolutely beautiful full of active people, adorable puppy dogs, and a plethora of pigeons. The college is also very beautiful and the people there are very kind and welcoming. The campus actually has campus cats that roam the buildings. I was so excited when I found that out! I love feline friends! After that we went to Piccadilly Circus which is a large number of streets filled with some of the worlds best shopping. I found out that the areas was named after what people used to buy there which were Dillies. Dillies are fluffy colars that people used to wear and they used to go to this particular area and "pick" them, hence Picc-a-Dilly. I thought that was very interesting. All of the designer shops were even more interesting even though I didn't go into a single one.

Today my friend and I took a trip to the grocery store. It was my first trip to a real one and it was quite an experience. Everything is very tightly packed in the store, no luxurious wide lanes where you can stand and look at everything with out getting hit by a cart (or here they call them Trolleys), the milk is not refrigerated which makes me scared to drink it and the eggs are not refrigerated either. I got a lot of awesome looking food and am excited to try it all. The price was less exciting, I spent close to 50 bucks on the amount of stuff I would have spent 20 bucks on in the States. I guess it's the nature of the beast. We also went to Regent's Park today and I read a book and people watched. Everyone seemed so relaxed and happy to enjoy the day. I am hoping to embrace that attitude and incorporate it into my life more. Well this is all for now!

Cheers!

Lindsey

2 comments:

  1. You will meet more friends! It just takes time :) And the campus cat thing is so cool!!!!!!! Isn't it weird how different something like a grocery store is? But that's the type of weirdness I love. Make sure to get plenty of sleep so you can have the energy to be adventurous! Love you!!

    Gretchen

    ReplyDelete