The back of this Palace is Ridiculous!

The back of this Palace is Ridiculous!

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Philmont Here's to thee...

Greetings from the backcountry,





I have been terrible about keeping up with blogging lately, but I assure you I will be more consistent starting NOW! I am currently working at Philmont Scout Ranch in Cimarron, NM aka the middle of freaking nowhere. I work as the director of services at the Philmont Training Center. The Philmont Training Center (largest volunteer training center in the world) is where volunteer scout leaders come to learn more about what they can do for their specific area of scouting. Lots of adorable old men in Class A's, ok maybe not all of them are adorable. So far this summer I have gotten to meet Skip Yowell the co-founder of JanSport (he is the coolest trailblazing dude the world could ask for) and I also met the CEO of Exxon Mobil, he is seriously the most down to earth, kind, and giving person I would have ever expected in that sort of role at the largest oil company in the world. Do you think I can add to my resume that I helped him turn his microphone on?! I think so! Beyond the famous people I have met this summer, I have been equally blessed with oodles of awesome friends. I could not ask for a more awesome services team, they are not only epic employees but the best friends a girl could ask for. I am convinced that this place is magical (despite the ridiculous drought conditions that I compare to my current love life); this place is where growth happens because people are being pushed to their limits everyday, this is a place of change because you have an opportunity for a fresh start, and it is a place for tranquility (it's not everywhere that you can get such limited cell phone reception). I think it may have something to do with how the Boy Scouts of America received the land we call Philmont, a man by the name of Waite Phillips (Phillips 66 anyone?!), decided his land would be better used teaching youth rather than providing him with pleasure. So he just gave it to us! He believed that the only things you keep permanently are the things you give away, words to live by right there. So go out there and GET IT, and GIVE IT!

Until next time,

Lindsey

1 comment:

  1. Another post I enjoyed reading. I have been meaning to ask you how the CEO of Exxon talk was. Encouraging to hear that he is a humble man. Everything I've heard seems to point to Boyscouts being a great organization. So many leaders endorse it's mission. Glad to know your enjoying taking part in it.
    Keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete